For everyday internet surfers, few things are as important as simplicity, speed and security. It can really be a hell having to wait seconds, if not minutes, trying to navigate through files and pages online. But this browser, apart from being absolutely free, lightweight and loaded with intuitive interface, boasts of a seamless journey on the world of the internet. Baidu, a Chinese web services, which has its headquarters in Beijing, China is one of the largest internet companies in the world. It was founded by the duo of Eric Xu and Robin Li in the year 2000 after they both completed their studies abroad.
It is the most used search engine in China and fourth most-used search engine worldwide according to Alexa list of most visited websites. Baclays also reported Baidu as controlling 91% of Mobile search market in China.
FEATURES AND TOOLS
The browser is stuffed with lots of fascinating features and tools which make it stands out from other internet browsers. These include
Mouse Gesture Navigation
The browser comes with a mouse gesture which enables users navigate back and forth easily while surfing the net. Similarly, new pages can be opened or closed easily by just swiping the mouse.
There are some times when difficulty may be encountered while trying to get started on the browser. Baidu got this covered by its browse doctor. It opens automatically when an error is encountered during browsing. The nature of the problem is told the doctor and it in turn, finds a solution. You can even tell the browse doctor to choose the best solution out of its suggestions for you!
Video Downloader Extension
This comes by default with the browser making movies and MP3 download very easy. It’s an alternative to Chrome browser and offers speedy media download. As the browser is on top of security, your device is surely shielded from some third-party malware and viruses associated with online video download. This however, does not lessen the importance of having an antivirus installed on your system as some videos themselves have some malicious contents.
Video Pop-Up Player
This feature supports and plays a range of video files on web pages. While continuing with your browsing, you can open and play a video in a floating screen on the browser. All you have to do is to click the little rectangular icon with an arrow on it at the top right hand of the video and the video will be popped out into a floating screen.
Do you want to share an image of a page on the web with your friend or you wish to keep it for future reference? Baidu understands and makes this easy through its screenshot feature. The scissors icon on the menu is all you have to click on and you are good to go. No installation of any third-party software is needed. It’s that simple.
Closed Tabs Recovery
Should you accidentally close a tab or tabs you are still working on while browsing, there is no need to worry. With the clock icon on the menu of your browser, you can search for and open recently closed tabs with the contents still intact.
With Baidu, you can stay connected on Facebook with the Facebook extension icon on the right-hand corner of the browser. You would just have to input your Facebook account details and you’re connected!
Once enabled, you can open some tabs with this browser on your PC and access them straight away from your smartphone or other computers. This of course, enables you to share your data and other preferences such as installed add-ons and reading lists with others.
The software is compatible with most Android and Windows devices. It equally has versions for Mobile Phones and Personal Computers (PCs). You have to ensure that you download the compatible format to your device before attempting installation.
The software can be downloaded free on Google Play Store (for Mobile Smartphones) or online (for PCs). Follow the instruction for installation and it should not take more than a few minutes before the browser is set up.
- The browser has an inbuilt virus scanner and an adware block which ensure the protection of some degrees from malicious files and malware while surfing the net.
- It has an attractive interface which is user-friendly.
- Its skin/appearance too is changeable.
- It is well-integrated for downloading media (Video and audio) and opening download manager
- With the customized mouse, you can use gestures to complete certain actions such as opening and closing of a page.
- The browser is blazingly fast in surfing the net.
- Installation is relatively simple and the browser is absolutely free.
- It offers many services other than browsing. These include Baidu Encyclopedia, Baidu Yi (for smartphones), Baidu Government Information Search, Baidu Patent Search and a whole lot of other services.
- Because it transmits the data of the user (both in the Windows and Android Versions) during usage, any in-path actor can easily acquire or tamper with these data by collecting the traffic.
- The signature codes of Windows and Android are at variance with those used by Baidu to protect software. So, any in-coming malicious agent could cause the application to inadvertently download and execute the arbitrary code thereby posing a great security risk
- Installing Baidu on your PC may mean you have to uninstall some unwanted adware and toolbars as they may not be supported by the program.
. FINAL JUDGMENT
There is no ‘perfect’ browser out there. Each has its own merits and demerits. But Baidu is more than just being averagely okay. The speed, great tools and ease of use constitute one great plus for this application. Similarly, in this era of internet insecurity, the in-built anti-virus of this browser remains a cogent reason it cannot just be whisked aside.
The security concerns identified are manageable especially when you have a reliable antivirus installed on your device to complement the in-built one. Take it or leave it, Baidu Browser has come to stay.